In most Nollywood movies, the story solely revolves round its protagonist, however in king of boys, it is the alternative. However, your entire journey of every character is intertwined based mostly on the actions of the primary character. And the viewers attachment is evenly divided amongst quite a lot of personalities.
Being a political thriller, KOB doesn’t draw back from the ugly actuality of Nigerian politics. The arcs of its quite a few characters are relatable and considerably empathetic. The motion directed comically is thrilling in a approach that it provides no room for boredom. The KOB motion is extra enjoyable as a result of it is not restricted to brawls and flying bullets however is complemented with proverbial phrases overseen by proficient script writing.
2. Culture heritage and originality: Enough of ‘Hollywood wanna be’. King of boys is a movie made by Nigerians for Nigerians; in its attempt for inclusivity, KOB adopts no clichés nor makes an attempt to string on any Hollywood template. The equal illustration of Hausa’s, and Igbos and Yorubas is what we want in Nigerian tv. Every scene, each line you possibly can inform Nigerians are repeatedly saved within the dialog; this prevents stretching the movie to please a world viewers however confines its worth to enchantment to an African viewers.
3. Unusual Characters: Eniola Salami’s dynamic mannerisms and sophisticated character has inscribed her title on the hearts of any KOB viewer. The similar goes for the facet characters, who’re all distinctive, every in their very own approach.
4. Great casting: What’s character with out the fitting Actor or Actress? Whether it is Nse Ikpe-Etim masquerading because the untouchable first woman or Efe Ewara being a naïve journalist, or Toni Tones screaming into her Sola Sobowale’s ears, nobody appears to be misplaced. [It’s like they were born to play those roles].
5. Good manufacturing: From enhancing to cinematography to lighting, you would inform the ultimate presentation was supervised by professionals, in contrast to movies the place one will hear breeze have an effect on the microphone.
6. Filmmaker character: Kemi Adetiba is a well-loved girl and an inspiration to approaching filmmakers and writers. Myself included. It will get to that degree of admiration that results in Stan worship, leading to followers accepting something you embark on. Her work justifies her character as a high quality storyteller, one proud to signify Nollywood and Africa.
7. Outperforming sequel: When a sequel outshines the unique, it reinstates a way of confidence and recognition that lives on within the viewers. After the excitement and hype for the love of the sequel, many individuals re-watched the 2018 model, many individuals.
8. Film Stan base #KOBarmy: Not typically do you see a Nollywood movie that has an natural Stan base. One created out of sheer ardour and love for the franchise [I think KOB is the first of its kind to acquire this]. Not solely does this movie have nationwide reception, nevertheless it additionally has a military behind it—the KOBarmy. Fans have taken to TikTok to create challenges the place they re-act iconic scenes and monologues.
Merch gross sales are ongoing, punchlines inserted in Instagram bios and different technique of appreciation for a narrative nicely advised.
For most Nollywood movies, individuals see it in cinemas or streaming platforms and transfer on, however KOB isn’t one. This is a movie sequence that as quickly because the credit start to roll, they begin tagging the filmmaker asking when the following half will probably be out.
I can’t state for positive the precise advertising methods put in place to make King Of Boys a business success, however no matter it’s, these above-listed components are a part of it and guess what? It is working.
Other Nollywood filmmakers ought to take notes.
Israel Olorunnisola is a contract artistic. When he’s not writing about Film, Music, TV or Pop tradition he’s telling tales on Wattpad.
Pulse Contributors is an initiative to spotlight various journalistic voices. Pulse Contributors don’t signify the corporate Pulse and contribute on their very own behalf.