After an unprecedented Pan-Commonwealth seek for revolutionary satellite-driven options to sort out the challenges of local weather emergency and ocean sustainability, the Satellite Applications Catapult and the Commonwealth Secretariat are delighted to announce the inaugural finalists of the Hack the Planet competitors 2021.
The six finalists embody inspiring leaders with game-changing options that leverage the facility of satellites to make an actual distinction within the Commonwealth and the world.
With a prize pool of £20,000 plus over £85,000 price of satellite tv for pc information and cloud computing providers for the winners of the competitors, the six finalists will now enter the ultimate stage of the competitors for a stay pitch occasion, the place they’ll pitch their ideas to a panel of knowledgeable judges.
The finalists are:
- CAPELLA (The Gambia) – an thought that mixes machine studying and satellite tv for pc imagery to offer information on unlawful, unregulated and unreported fishing in Africa and to deal with the problem of ocean plastic air pollution.
- Loop Recyclers Tech (Nigeria) – this idea makes use of the facility of geospatial information and the Internet of Things to watch and enhance recycling charges for plastics and forestall plastics from reaching rivers and the ocean. The resolution goals to scale back air pollution ranges, stop unlawful waste disposal and handle public well being points.
- Marine Wildlife Tracking with Snapper GPS (UK) – a formidable and novel resolution that may change the best way conservationists monitor marine animals. The thought focuses on animals that solely spend quick durations on the floor of the ocean and are due to this fact usually troublesome to trace.
- Plastic-i: Mapping Ocean Plastics from Space (UK) – an answer that may mix information from a number of high-resolution Earth-observing satellite tv for pc constellations, mixed with machine studying to create a extremely particular map of floating ocean plastic, to be supplied open-source and up to date every day.
- Project 30 (Trinidad and Tobago) – a venture seeking to streamline the Marine Protected Area (MPA) choice and analysis course of, utilizing high-resolution satellite tv for pc imagery, analysed through machine studying. Ultimately the staff plan for his or her device for use by Governments, NGOs and conservation professionals to handle and designate MPAs.
- Terangi Team (Malaysia) – a wide-reaching concept that goals to ship a toolbox of necessary environmental monitoring capabilities in a single expertise platform. The toolbox consists of modules for marine conservation areas, local weather change monitoring, water high quality, and the evaluation of potential environmental threats.
The concepts and dedication demonstrated by all six finalists to delivering real-world change drastically impressed the judges, who supplied them their congratulations on reaching the ultimate stage of the competitors.
Earlier within the competitors, 30 shortlisted groups had been invited to take part in a rigorous, information trade programme the place they learnt about satellite tv for pc applied sciences and components of design pondering that might help their concepts, and hone these into sturdy, compelling pitches.
The ultimate occasion will probably be live-streamed on 14th October from 12:00 BST. To discover out extra and register to attend click on here.